Dr Parker had served on active duty in the US Marine Corps and later as an Air
Force officer in command of Minuteman II Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles at
Malmstrom Air Force Base. While serving on active duty he was accepted into
Mayo Medical School and given an Air Force scholarship to attend. In 1997 Dr
Parker was finishing his training at Mayo Medical School at the Mayo Clinic in
Rochester, Minnesota. An email he received contained disturbing images that he
was afraid depicted child abuse. He immediately contacted the FBI office in
Rochester and was directed to the FBI office in Minneapolis. They asked him to
help them identify the sender. Telephone records show over a dozen call from Dr
Parker’s home telephone to the FBI in Minneapolis. A sting was set up but no one
was caught. Dr Parker finished his training and was accepted into the Emergency
Medicine program at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Before
leaving Minnesota Dr Parker called the FBI and asked what to do with the
materials on his computer. He was told to contact the FBI when he arrived in
Little Rock. Dr Parker moved to Little Rock and began a very busy schedule in
Emergency Medicine. He contacted the FBI office there and was told to bring the
materials in “when he got a chance”. Later US Customs agents came to the
hospital and asked Dr Parker about the materials. Dr Parker reported that he had
contacted the FBI and would gave them access to his computer. The Customs
agents seized Dr Parker’s computer and denied that he had ever contacted the
authorities. They charged him with possession of these materials and prosecuted
him in federal court. Dr Parker filed 13 motions asking the government to search
for and produce the records of his contacts with the FBI. Every time the
prosecution would deny that any such records existed and the judge would deny
Dr Parker’s motions. In closing arguments the prosecutor told that jury that they
had looked and there was no evidence Dr Parker had contacted the FBI even
saying that if such records had existed there would have been no prosecution.
What Dr Parker did not realize was that there was a turf war between the FBI and
US Customs over who would have jurisdiction over the internet. The US Customs
agents had found out the day after speaking to Dr Parker that he had indeed

contact the FBI in both Minneapolis and Little Rock. They lied about this to the
court and knowingly prosecuted an innocent man rather than admit they had
made a mistake. Dr Parker was convicted and sentenced. After he was in prison
an investigator working for the federal defender’s office went to Minnesota and
found proof that Dr Parker had been telling the truth all along. When Dr Parker
asked that his conviction be overturned in light of the new evidence the US
Attorney’s office argued that Dr Parker had not exercised “due diligence”, in other
words that he hadn’t tried hard enough to find the records. A new trial was
denied and Dr Parker served four years in federal prison. A court martial was held
during his incarceration and US Air Force found that Dr Parker had acted
honorably and would be granted a discharge under honorable conditions. Dr
Parker is the only military officer in the history of the United States granted a
discharge under honorable conditions while a federal prisoner. The US Supreme
Court ruled that enhanced sentences like Dr Parker’s were unconstitutional one
week after Dr Parker had served his entire sentence. The Assistant US Attorney
that had prosecuted Dr Parker was later found to have fraudulently claimed to
have an active law license and admitted to repeatedly lying in court. She was
banned from practicing law by the Arkansas Supreme Court. The US Attorney’s
office declined to prosecute itself and, despite committing several felonies, she
was not charged with any crime. The Arkansas State Medical Board, after a
careful review of the facts and evidence, returned Dr Parker’s medical license
unrestricted. He has since been rebuilding his career and spending time with his
family. He has been supported throughout this ordeal by his family and several
wonderful and dedicated people who have sought justice on his behalf.